Best Opening Lines to Convince a Customer On a Call
Life as a tele-caller is not easy — you get a lot of rejections on an everyday basis. Still, you wake up every day, get to your office, look at the call list of the day, and start dialling numbers. Every day you try to convince a customer to buy something from you, listening to many 'NOs' in the process. It's natural to feel disheartened, but you die to live another day.
If you are feeling demotivated about your calls for the day, don't worry, we've got something to cheer you up.
In this day and age, where information is available freely, rarely is anyone ready to listen to another human. But it's your job to inform, engage, and convince a customer to close sales for your company.
In this blog, we'll share exciting opening lines and tips that will help you improve your call-to-conversion rate. But before we begin, let's look at some general information to help you get into the right mindset.
Useful Tips to Convince a Customer on a Call
You talk with hundreds of people every day. So, naturally, you know a lot about humans. Still, here are some general tips to help you convince someone to buy from you on the call:
1) Don't Rush into Selling: Spend time to set a stage, ask about your prospect, and understand their concerns.
2) Most Customers Have Truecallers Installed: You'll mostly receive a 'not answered' response. Don't be demotivated. It's not you they're ignoring. They're also just saving their time.
3) Always ask if it's the right time to talk: You'll probably call them when they're also in their office or busy working. So, always ask if it is the right time to talk to them. Tell them what's in it for them right away. (look for scripts and opening lines below)
4) Always greet them by their first name: Never make them feel like they're talking to a robot. Greet cheerfully with their first name. But make sure to be respectful. Always add 'ji' or 'sir' after their first name.
5) Talk in the customer's language: Research which region you will call and talk in the language you know your customer will feel more comfortable in.
6) Customers won't buy from you in one call. Follow-up: Never assume you'll be able to convince customers in one call. Always create opportunities to follow up in your first conversation.
Best Cold Call Opening Lines for Credit Card Sales
If you sell credit cards on calls, you know the dreary 'Nahi Chaiye' response pretty well. Almost everyone (except with a bad CIBIL score) tries to dodge you when you ask if they need a credit card. If you want them to listen to you and convince you to buy a credit card, you need to change your approach.
Here are four opening lines that will help you take the conversation beyond the 'Nahi Chaiye' script you are used to:
1) The Generous Ask
Sir! Namaste. Ho sakta hai aap already ye sab jaante hon par kya aap 2 minute meri baat sun sakte hain?
2) Talk About the Customer's Benefit
Good Morning Sir! Is this the right time to share information that can save you INR xxx annually?
3) Catch The Attention by Talking About Their Behavior
Good Morning Madam! Did you order food online in the last week? I've some information to share.
4) The Problem Solver
Sir Namaste! Kya Aap Credit Card Ki Limit Se Santusht Hain?
5) The Behavioral Hook (based on your customer's online activity)
Hello sir! I was searching for the most affordable flight tickets online and found some information that might be useful for your next trip.
(when your customer travels a lot — you can know this information by researching your prospect for a few minutes before the call.)
Best Cold Call Opening Lines for Real Estate Sales
If you are the 'property guy', you have already heard a million excuses not to invest from your prospects. So, why not change your calling strategy and give these opening lines a shot on your next call with a lead:
1) The Relatable Introduction
Sirji! Namaste. Xxxx (referral) se aapka number mila. Wo bata rahe the aap ghar dhundh rahein hain!
2) The Location Specifier
Sir! Good Morning. Kya aap kuch din pehle xxx <location> me ghar dhundh rahe the? Mere paas kuch exclusive properties hain!
3) The Research Oriented Opening Line
Sir! Aapka Facebook (or any other social media) pe post padha! Kya aap abhi bhi ghar khoj rahein hain!
4) The Deeply Compassionate Opening
"Hi [Name], it's [Your Name] and I couldn't help but notice that you've been checking out properties online, I know how overwhelming it can get when you're looking for a new place to call home. Tell me, what's your vision for your dream home? A backyard for the kids to play, a modern kitchen for the chef in the family, or a short commute to work? And How can I make your search more efficient and enjoyable? "
Best Cold Call Opening Lines for Insurance Sales
Insurance is by far becoming the most competitive space in recent times.
With many startups and conventional businesses trying to find customers for their policies, it gets hard for telecallers to make a mark in customers' minds. Here are four unique opening lines for you to convince your customer on call:
1) The Concerned Caller
Sir. Good Morning! I just called you to understand if your employer covers your family under health insurance coverage. If not, you could be risking your retirement savings.
2) Curiosity Strike
Namaste, sir! Aapne abhi recently Ayushmaan Bharat scheme k bare padha hoga. Kya aap jaan na nahi chahenge ki aapke parivar ko aisi schemes ki vjah se medical cover kaise mil sakta hai?
3) The Financial Planner
Hello sir! Did you check how medical inflation is slowly eating up your retirement savings and future plans?
4) The Mixed Pitch
Sir, I know you might be busy, but could you spare 2 minutes for your family's well-being? If yes, I'll keep going; else, I'll cut this call.
Insurance is a sensitive topic, so that you might get a very muted response to the above pitch. But don't just stick to it. Keep improvising based on your lead data type, region, expectations, or any data you can get hold of.
Also, remember many people won't appreciate you talking about their finances on the first call. This is the perfect opportunity to grab a chance for a follow-up call and improve the odds of a conversion.
How Not to Convince Your Customer on Call?
While a lot of material you read online will tell you what to do, only a few will tell you what not to do. The thing is, there's a lot of garbage advice when it comes to cold calling.
So, here are some 'generic scripts' you must have seen everywhere, telling you to start your calls like this. But beware of such advice and make sure to stay away from such advisors and coaches that ask you to use the following scripts to convince a customer:
1) "Hi [Name], it's [Your Name] from [Your Company]. Are you tired of waiting for the right buyer to come along? I have a proven system to sell your home fast."
2) "Good morning [Name], this is [Your Name] from [Your Company]. I couldn't help but notice that you're in the market for a new home, let me be your guide and find the perfect property for you."
3) "Hey [Name], it's [Your Name] with [Your Company]. I know the current market trends in [Your Area] like the back of my hand. Want to know the latest data and insights to help you make informed decisions?"
4) "Hello [Name], It's [Your Name], I just closed a deal on a home in your neighborhood, and I have a list of potential buyers looking for a home just like yours, Would you be open to a quick chat?"
5) "Hi [Name], it's [Your Name] with [Your Company]. I know the process of selling your home can be stressful, let me take the burden off your shoulders and handle the sale from start to finish."
6) "Hi [Name], it's [Your Name] from [Your Company], I couldn't help but notice you're working with another agent, would you be open for a free home evaluation and see how I can help you get the best price for your home?"
7) "Hi [Name], it's [Your Name] from [Your Company]. I know how important it is to protect your loved ones and assets, and I wanted to check if you have reviewed your insurance coverage recently? I'd be happy to review your current coverage and see if there are any gaps that need to be filled. "
8) "Good morning [Name], it's [Your Name] with [Your Company]. Are you aware of the latest insurance products that can save you money and give you peace of mind? I'd be happy to review your options and find the best coverage for you."
9) "Hello [Name], it's [Your Name] with [Your Company]. I specialize in helping business owners like you protect their assets, Are you currently reviewing your business insurance coverage? I'd love to help you make sure you have the coverage you need."
10) "Hi [Name], it's [Your Name] from [Your Company]. I couldn't help but notice that your current policy is about to expire, I have some great options that can help you save money and give you more coverage. Are you open for a quick chat?"
11) "Good afternoon [Name], it's [Your Name] with [Your Company]. I wanted to check in and see if you've had any changes in your life that might affect your insurance coverage. I want to ensure you and your loved ones are protected at all times."
Start Keeping a Log of Your Daily Calls to Improve Your Odds
You must be calling 100s of people (or more) every day. While an opening line is just one element of a successful cold call, you would be amazed at how good you can get at closing a sale by just keeping a log of your daily calls. And the good thing is— you don't need to do anything manually.
Start using a call monitoring and tracking system on your smartphone, and you will get deep data about success rates, missed calls, follow-ups, and more to improve your performance as a telecaller. All the best!